Distribution Network Operators
The companies that own the physical networks that carry our electricity
Distribution Network Operators – a little history
Following deregulation, the market place remains geographically split into 14 Public Electricity Supply Areas (See Fig. 1) which in 2012 are run by 6 different Distribution Network Operators.
In 1990 the Area Electricity Boards were replaced by Regional Electricity Companies, which were then privatised. The DNOs are the successors to the distribution arms of the RECs.
- These areas reflect the boundaries of the old electricity boards prior to deregulation. However, there are now over 20 different supply companies to choose from and most also offer gas supplies as well.
- In each area the DNO has a monopoly on distributing electricity from the grid to homes and businesses.
- They are NOT allowed to supply electricity. This must be done by a separate company of the consumer’s choice, who make use of the distribution network.
- The cost of distribution is built in to the price of your electricity, meaning that in areas that require more pipes and more maintenance, like Scotland, the price of electricity and standing charges are generally higher than they would be in London, for example.
- You may need to contact your distributor in case of arranging a new electricity or gas connection or reporting a problem with your supply. (See contact numbers below)
Finding out your MPAN and who your supplier is
If you need to find out who is supplying you with electricity, or you don’t know your MPAN, check which area you are in and call the MPAS number below:
|10||Eastern England||UK Power Networks||0845 601 4516|
|11||East Midlands||Western Power Distribution||0845 724 0240|
|12||London||UK Power Networks||0845 601 4516|
|13||North Wales||SP Energy Networks||0845 273 4444|
|14||West Midlands||Western Power Distribution||0845 724 0240|
|15||North East England||Northern Powergrid||08450 702 703|
|16||North West||Electricity NorthWest||0800 195 4141|
|17||North Scotland||SSE Power Distribution||0800 048 3515|
|18||South Scotland||SP Energy Networks||0845 273 4444|
|19||South East England||UK Power Networks||0845 601 4516|
|20||Southern England||SSE Power Distribution||0800 048 3516|
|21||South Wales||Western Power Distribution||0845 601 3341|
|22||South West||Western Power Distribution||0845 601 2989|
|23||Yorkshire||Northern Powergrid||08450 702 703|
Finding out which distribution zone you are in
You can find your area ID on your bill – it is the first 2 digits of the bottom line of your MPAN. You can see the area IDs on the map below: